Sunday 6 March 2011

Petrol Noir - Project 3

  

(Left - Mood Board. Right - Concept Board)


(Left - Design Board 1. Right - Flats)


(Left - Design Board 2. Right - Flats)


(Left - Design board 3. Right - Flats)

Petrol Noir was a collection/project created for my womenswear course at Uni. the brief was 20th century and each student was to design based on inspiration gathered from a certain decade. My decade of choice was the 80's. I chose this decade so as to show others a different side of the 80's that they may not be used to. 

Many think of the 80s as a time of bright colours, big hair, accentuated shoulders, and really horrible synth-pop music. i decided to go a different direction in my inspiration and looked at the Exxon-Valdez oil spill that happened in alaska. i decided it correlated with the recent rise in oil spills happening throughout the world and also allowed me to further build on my own design philosophy of life vs. death and the natural struggles we go through in life. Of course my work was criticized by some peers for not being "80's enough" aka no bright colours, no hideous fabrics, etc, but over all i was very pleased with this collection and felt i made my own personal statement. those who dont understand it are simply those who do not wish to understand and those without the ability to open up their own imagination in order to break free of their comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment